PAKISTAN: Japanese investors back export processing zone
Pakistan's Export Processing Zone Authority (EPZA) is to set up the second-phase of the Karachi Export Processing Zone with financial assistance from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
EPZA chairman Tariq Hassan said the project has attracted both foreign and local investors. Work on Phase II will start by March 2013.
The Karachi Export Processing Zone is located at 35 miles from the Karachi Seaport and connected to the Landhi Industrial Estate, Quaid-e-Azam International Airport, and Port Qasim. At least 35,000 people, including 20,000 women from nearby areas, work in the EPZ.
The facility spreads over 500 acres and offers facilities like uninterrupted power supply, a dedicated water pipeline, workers' accommodation, efficient transportation systems and training institutes.
The project is a part of country's efforts to introduce structural reforms, simplify investment procedures and develop a modern infrastructure in order to attract investment in export-based industries such as textiles and clothing.
Its five-year textile policy (which runs from 2009-14) aims to increase the country's textile and clothing exports to US$25bn by the year 2015.
A textile city and three garment cites are also being established at Karachi, Lahore and Faisalabad.
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide