US: JC Penney coy on potential job losses
US department store retailer JC Penney has remained coy on reports it is to axe a further 300 jobs at its headquarters in Plano, Texas.
The retailer plans to lay off 10% of its 10,000 employees in Plano, according to the New York Post. The job cuts were due last month but CEO Ron Johnson decided to delay the move until the company's fiscal year ended last week, the report added.
However, when contacted by just-style today (8 February), a spokesperson for JC Penney said: "We do not comment on rumour or speculation."
Despite ongoing efforts to try to turnaround its business, JC Penney saw its third-quarter sales slide to US$2.9bn. The company is due to release its fourth-quarter and full-year results this month.
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
Department store retailer JC Penney has disputed reports that commercial lender CIT has stopped financing deliveries from smaller manufacturers to its stores....
One of Pakistan's largest textile companies, Nishat Chunian Limited, has acquired Taj Textile Mills in a deal worth PKR350m (US$3.4m)....
A group of leading North American retailers and brands - led by Wal-Mart and Gap - have committed more than $142m in funding and low interest loans to help improve factory safety conditions for garmen...
Chief technology officer Kristen Blum has been named as the latest executive to leave struggling department store retailer JC Penney....
Department store retailer JC Penney has secured a five-year US$2.25bn loan - $500m more than it originally expected - as it looks to turn its struggling business around....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020