US: JC Penney coy on potential job losses
US department store retailer JC Penney has remained coy on reports it is to axe a further 300 jobs at its headquarters in Plano, Texas.
The retailer plans to lay off 10% of its 10,000 employees in Plano, according to the New York Post. The job cuts were due last month but CEO Ron Johnson decided to delay the move until the company's fiscal year ended last week, the report added.
However, when contacted by just-style today (8 February), a spokesperson for JC Penney said: "We do not comment on rumour or speculation."
Despite ongoing efforts to try to turnaround its business, JC Penney saw its third-quarter sales slide to US$2.9bn. The company is due to release its fourth-quarter and full-year results this month.
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
Department store retailer JC Penney has disputed reports that commercial lender CIT has stopped financing deliveries from smaller manufacturers to its stores....
One of Pakistan's largest textile companies, Nishat Chunian Limited, has acquired Taj Textile Mills in a deal worth PKR350m (US$3.4m)....
A group of leading North American retailers and brands - led by Wal-Mart and Gap - have committed more than $142m in funding and low interest loans to help improve factory safety conditions for garmen...
Chief technology officer Kristen Blum has been named as the latest executive to leave struggling department store retailer JC Penney....
Department store retailer JC Penney has secured a five-year US$2.25bn loan - $500m more than it originally expected - as it looks to turn its struggling business around....
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015