US: JC Penney coy on potential job losses
US department store retailer JC Penney has remained coy on reports it is to axe a further 300 jobs at its headquarters in Plano, Texas.
The retailer plans to lay off 10% of its 10,000 employees in Plano, according to the New York Post. The job cuts were due last month but CEO Ron Johnson decided to delay the move until the company's fiscal year ended last week, the report added.
However, when contacted by just-style today (8 February), a spokesperson for JC Penney said: "We do not comment on rumour or speculation."
Despite ongoing efforts to try to turnaround its business, JC Penney saw its third-quarter sales slide to US$2.9bn. The company is due to release its fourth-quarter and full-year results this month.
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
After years of struggling sales, department store retailer JC Penney appointed Ron Johnson as its CEO in 2011, ushering in a new period of dramatic changes. With new management, a new logo, new spokes...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company strategies; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; intern...
Building on the growing sales of its private label apparel brand, Joe Fresh, Loblaws is continuing to expand its standalone Joe Fresh stores dedicated to this brand in Canada. Furthermore, the Canadia...
Department store retailer JC Penney has disputed reports that commercial lender CIT has stopped financing deliveries from smaller manufacturers to its stores....
One of Pakistan's largest textile companies, Nishat Chunian Limited, has acquired Taj Textile Mills in a deal worth PKR350m (US$3.4m)....
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead