US: JC Penney losses widen on falling sales
- Fourth quarter net losses widened to $427m
- Sales fell 28.4% to $3.8bn
- Full-year net losses reached $985m
- Sales were down 24.8% to $12.9bn
US department store operator JC Penney saw fourth quarter net losses widen as the company said sales and traffic fell below expectations amid efforts to turn around the business.
Net losses reached US$427m over the quarter ended 2 February, against a $87m loss in the same period of the prior year. Sales fell 28.4% to $3.8bn over the quarter, while comparable store sales declined 31.7%.
Gross margin also declined, down to 23.8% from 30.2% a year earlier.
"Sales and customer traffic were below our expectations in 2012, but as we execute our ambitious transformation plan, we are pleased with the great strides we made to improve JCPenney's cost structure, technology platforms and the overall customer experience," said CEO Ron Johnson.
"We have accomplished so much in the last 12 months. We believe the bold actions taken in 2012 will materially improve the company's long-term growth and profitability."
"Looking ahead, we are energised by our shop roll-out plans for 2013 and the exciting work our teams are undertaking to transform the store. Combining a new marketing campaign focused on style and value, incredible new brands and updated merchandise, with continued enhancements to the customer experience both in our stores and on jcp.com, we are working towards reconnecting with our core customer while attracting new customers to JCPenney."
For the full year, net losses reached $985m, from a loss of $152m in 2011. Sales declined 24.8% to $12.9bn, while comparable sales were down 25.2%. Gross margin fell to 31.3% from 36%.
Hedge fun manager William Ackman is to sell his 17.7% stake in ailing department store retailer JC Penney, less than a month after he resigned from the board....
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at the headwinds facing JC Penney as second quarter profits widened, a report that most Australian retailers lack knowledge of their suppli...
Beleaguered US department store operator JC Penney has seen its second quarter net losses widen as it works to turn around the flailing company....
The group of leading retailers and brands who make up the North American Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has named Ellen O'Kane Tauscher as the independent chair of its board of directors....
Hedge fund manager William Ackman has resigned from the board of JC Penney, as the ailing department store retailer reaffirmed its support for CEO Myron (Mike) Ullman and chairman Thomas Engibous....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019