USA: JC Penney Posts Q3 Profit Rise
Department store retailer JC Penney has boosted its third-quarter income through good sales and reduced interest expense.
Third-quarter income totalled $234 million compared with $149m in the same period last year.
Comparable department store sales increased 2.5 per cent compared with a 2.6 per cent rise last year.
Direct sales fell 0.9 per cent compared to a 3.6 per cent increase last year. Sales for jcpenney.com increased more than 25 per cent in the third quarter on top of a 30 per cent increase last year.
Chairman and chief executive Myron Ullman III said: "We are pleased with our operating performance during the course of 2005, especially in the third quarter, which was a very challenging retail environment.
"As we enter the fourth quarter, we are well positioned for the holiday selling season."
Ullman added that customer response to merchandise, marketing and sales changes had been good, and that it would continue to concentrate on putting into practise its long-term strategy.
JC Penney is a large-scale department store, catalogue, and e-commerce retailers, operating about 1,017 JC Penney department stores throughout the US and Puerto Rico.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Body shape is a big issue, and brands that understand this are seeing significant improvements in sales, profits and customer loyalty. Intellifit and Fit Spec are two American companies spearheading t...
Retailer JCPenney and tailored clothing company Bagir said they are launching their machine-washable and dryable suit separates in more than 500 department stores this month....
Haggar Clothing Co has hired Tad Parnell as vice president, director of sales for JCPenney....
JCPenney has introduced a new private apparel brand for the women's market called a.n.a....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022