US: JC Penney to cut costs by opening fewer stores
Department store operator JC Penney Company Inc is reducing the number of new stores it plans to open in 2009 as part of efforts to cut annual expenditures by $350m in a difficult retail environment.
But the retailer, which operates 1,074 department stores, said it still expects year-on-year gross margin trends to improve in the third and fourth quarters.
JC Penney's plans for 2009 call for a reduction in capital expenditures to $650m, which compared to $1bn expected for 2008 and $1.2bn in 2007.
It will now open 20 new or relocated stores in 2009 - including its first store in Manhattan - down from 36 in 2008. The retailer had previously planed to open 50 stores each year through 2011.
The company has also reduced its renovation plans to 10-15 stores in 2009, down from 20 in 2008 and less than one-third of its earlier goal of renovating 65 stores each year through 2011.
Total inventories are also expected to be below 2007 levels by the end of the 2008 back-to-school season.
"We have just completed our strategic planning process for the coming year, a period that we expect to remain very challenging for the American consumer," said Myron E (Mike) Ullman III, chairman and chief executive officer.
"We believe the combination of our merchandising, marketing and pricing programs, together with our prudent capital expenditure plans will allow us to minimise the impact of the difficult retail environment and improve both our competitive positioning and market share."
US retailer JC Penney has stopped using Oak Harbor Freight Lines to ship its merchandise in the western US, according to US union Teamsters....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' November 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The Black Friday shopping bonanza sets a precedent for holiday season sales in the US. But rarely has it been more important to fashion retailers as many try to manoeuvre their way out of the red afte...
JC Penney Corporation has announced the voluntary recall of around 24,000 Arizona Newborn and Infant Denim Pants in cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission....
Department store retailer JC Penney Company Inc on Friday (14 November) posted a 52% drop in third quarter profit on lower sales and higher markdowns of its products, and lowered its fourth-quarter ou...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' October 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Apparel makers in Singapore are stepping up their efforts to build business with US retailers by claiming they have the reach and experience to help companies stay competitive in the global credit cri...
Department store retailer JC Penney Company Inc has updated its Stafford and Worthington career clothing brands, adding new styles, categories, fits and performance features to the line-up as it focus...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack