US: JCPenney to open first-ever store in Manhattan
Department store retailer JC Penney Company Inc is opening its first-ever store in Manhattan at the end of this month.
The 153,000-square-foot store at 33rd Street and 6th Avenue near Herald Square is on two levels in the newly renovated Manhattan Mall and is close to both the business district of midtown Manhattan and the tourist centre of Times Square.
"It took more than a hundred years for JCPenney to get to Manhattan, and now more than ever, the time is right," said Myron E (Mike) Ullman III, chairman and CEO of the retailer which operates more than 1,100 stores across the US.
"Our company today has the financial strength to create a unique and inviting store in the heart of New York City, and with our assortment of great brands, we will offer Manhattan shoppers the style they want at affordable prices."
The store's layout and merchandise has been tailored to the needs of the Manhattan customer, including national brands like Nike and Adidas as well as the retailer's private label and designer collaborations such as I "Heart" Ronson, Allen B., Bisou Bisou, Fabulosity and Nicole by Nicole Miller.
Two new exclusive brands - home brand Cindy Crawford Style and men's wear brand Joe Joseph Abboud - will also debut there, two months before arriving in other JCPenney stores.
American Living, which was developed for the JCPenney customer by Polo Ralph Lauren's Global Brand Concepts, will also be available.
JCPenney already operates New York City stores in Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island, and will open its Manhattan store on 31 July.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Like just about every other business sector on the planet, retailers continued to be affected by global economic turmoil during 2009. Companies previously intent on expansion and growth turned to cost...
Macy's boss Terry J Lundgren has been named as the new chairman of the board of directors of the National Retail Federation (NRF)....
New York-based specialty athletic retailer Foot Locker Inc is to shutter 117 stores, cut 120 jobs and consolidate its businesses under one management team in a move designed to offset slowing sales in...
Principal lenders in Tefron Ltd have pledged to continue and expand the firm's line of credit in a move that effectively ends a month of financial uncertainty for the intimate apparel and performance ...
Department store retailer Sears Holdings has opened up its website to third-party sellers, including competitors, as part of a new online mall called Sears Marketplace....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' December 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
One of the leading shareholders in Tefron Ltd has indicated it intends to inject up to $4m in a rights issue planned by the intimate apparel and performance activewear maker....
US retailer JC Penney Company is promoting three executives to expanded duties in a new senior merchandising leadership structure....
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack