UK: JD Sports acquires Sprinter group
UK retailer JD Sports Fashions has moved to acquire Spain’s Sprinter group in a deal that has cost the company EUR20m (US$29m).
JD completed the deal via its newly incorporated subsidiary JD Sprinter Holdings 2010, in which it invested EUR20m for a 50.1% stake, with the remainder split between Sprinter founders the Segarra family and long-term investors the Bernad family.
Sprinter was founded in 1981 and is one of Spain’s leading sports retailers, selling international sports brands and own-label goods from 47 stores, mostly based in Andalucia and Levante.
JD Sports said Sprinter’s “experienced management team and established infrastructure” would give the company the chance to expand its European retail presence and the distribution of its brands.
“It is our intention that the Sprinter store chain will continue to grow and a joint venture is being established between JD Sprinter and JD (in which JD will have an effective shareholding of 65%) to roll out JD as a more fashion-oriented retail fascia in Spain, emulating the UK format,” said JD Sports.
It added that, in the year to 31 December 2009, Sprinter recorded turnover of EUR80m and pre-tax profits of EUR2.1m.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn - but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortu...
JD Sports says it lost some GBP700,000 (US$1m) in stock during the UK riots last month, but does not think the unrest will impact its full-year results....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019