UK: JD Sports books "robust" Christmas sales
JD Sports Fashion has hailed a "robust performance" over Christmas, driven by its core sports fascias, and expects further growth elsewhere in the group this year.
The UK retailer today (10 January) said like-for-like sales at its core stores for the 48 weeks to 4 January are "marginally" ahead of the 5.8% increase over the first half, with underlying product gross margins largely maintained.
The group added that it remains on course to deliver headline profit before tax and exceptional items in line with current market expectations.
JD Sports executive chairman Peter Cowgill said: "Christmas 2013 has seen yet another very robust performance from our core sports fascias [which include JD, Size?, Chausport, Champion, and Sprinter].
"Throughout recent years of considerable change and expansion for the group, the core sports fascias' proposition has continued to be developed and enhanced.
"I am delighted that the most recent six weeks' trading has continued to give confidence for the future. I also expect considerable further progress elsewhere in the group in 2014."
Commenting on the results, Conlumino analyst David Alexander said: "If the group can implement its well-heeled strategy for success across its increasingly broad collection of brands, then the future looks bright for JD.
But, he warned, managing a complex and growing business with 13 different fascias against substantial pressure from the likes of Sports Direct could prove challenging.
"On the other hand, the challenge of managing a complex and growing business with 13 different fascias against substantial pressure from market behemoth, Sports Direct, means that the future is also likely to remain fraught with challenges."
UK retailer Sports Direct International has remained tight lipped over reports it is planning to close up to a third of its loss-making USC fashion stores....
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
Our new Amazon Annual Best seller reports are available on a consultancy basis and deeply mine our own Amazon Trackers research and employ some unique in house modeling techniques. Harnessing insights...
UK retailer Sports Direct International has delivered a robust performance in its first-half, analysts have said, with earnings up nearly 10%....
Australian retailer Pacific Brands has completed its divestments of the Brand Collective and Workwear businesses....
UK retailer JD Sports Fashion has sold its struggling young fashion brand Bank to a subsidiary of Hilco Capital Limited....
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)