UK: JD Sports books "robust" Christmas sales
JD Sports Fashion has hailed a "robust performance" over Christmas, driven by its core sports fascias, and expects further growth elsewhere in the group this year.
The UK retailer today (10 January) said like-for-like sales at its core stores for the 48 weeks to 4 January are "marginally" ahead of the 5.8% increase over the first half, with underlying product gross margins largely maintained.
The group added that it remains on course to deliver headline profit before tax and exceptional items in line with current market expectations.
JD Sports executive chairman Peter Cowgill said: "Christmas 2013 has seen yet another very robust performance from our core sports fascias [which include JD, Size?, Chausport, Champion, and Sprinter].
"Throughout recent years of considerable change and expansion for the group, the core sports fascias' proposition has continued to be developed and enhanced.
"I am delighted that the most recent six weeks' trading has continued to give confidence for the future. I also expect considerable further progress elsewhere in the group in 2014."
Commenting on the results, Conlumino analyst David Alexander said: "If the group can implement its well-heeled strategy for success across its increasingly broad collection of brands, then the future looks bright for JD.
But, he warned, managing a complex and growing business with 13 different fascias against substantial pressure from the likes of Sports Direct could prove challenging.
"On the other hand, the challenge of managing a complex and growing business with 13 different fascias against substantial pressure from market behemoth, Sports Direct, means that the future is also likely to remain fraught with challenges."
UK retailer Sports Direct International has remained tight lipped over reports it is planning to close up to a third of its loss-making USC fashion stores....
This report is a crucial resource for industry executives and anyone looking to access key information about "JD Sports Fashion Plc". The report utilizes a wide range of primary and secondary sources,...
Sports Direct International Plc. has been one of the successes in UK high street retail over the last 10 years. The sports apparel and equipment retailer has grown rapidly, hastening the demise of for...
UK retailer Sports Direct International has delivered a robust performance in its first-half, analysts have said, with earnings up nearly 10%....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company...
Australian retailer Pacific Brands has completed its divestments of the Brand Collective and Workwear businesses....
Introduction Footwear in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018).......
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015