UK: JD Sports confirms "advanced" Blacks talks
On Friday, Blacks announced that it will go into administration as part of plans to sell the business. The pre-pack arrangement will allow a buyer to cherry-pick the company's best assets, but leave its costly distribution warehouse and head office, as well as shed unwanted shops from its 300-store estate.
Blacks Leisure has 98 Blacks outlets and 208 Millets outlets. It also owns the Peter Storm and Eurohike brands.
In a statement to the London Stock Exchange, JD Sports said: "JD notes the press speculation in relation to a potential offer for the assets of Blacks Leisure Group and the recent announcement made by Blacks, and confirms that it is in advanced discussions with Blacks in relation to an offer for certain of its assets."
Bidders were thought to include Dragon's Den TV star Peter Jones, JD Sports and Sports Direct, according to Reuters. However, on Friday, Peter Jones denied that he was planning to buy the retailer through his Twitter account.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion recorded a 1.5% increase in like-for-like sales in the 19 weeks to 9 June, but margins came under pressure as offers continued to drive the market....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
UK sportswear retailer JD Sports has seen its full-year pre-tax profit hit by its acquisition of Blacks Leisure, the UK's largest outdoor clothing and equipment retailer, earlier this year....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- US retailers' March 2014 sales roundup
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- City sees "no quick fix" for Debenhams
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects