UK: JD Sports maintains FY guidance after Blacks buy
- Christmas period like-for-like sales up 1.6%
- Gross margin in line with last year
- Forecasts FY result in line with expectations
Updating on Christmas trading, JD Sports said its core like-for-like sales for the five weeks to 7 January were up 1.6%, or 0.1% excluding VAT, with sports shops up 2.3% and fashion outlets down 0.7%.
The UK retailer said gross profit margins were broadly in line with the prior year.
Outside JD Sports’ core business, the company said its Chausport division had performed well, but Champion had been impacted by the “exceptionally difficult” economic situation in Ireland, although this was offset by improving margins.
Sprinter had shown a slight sales decline, but the company said it was happy with the overall direction of the business and anticipated opening its first JD stores in Spain in the first half of 2012.
JD Sports admitted that its recent acquisition out of administration of the Blacks outdoor retail business would reduce earnings in the current year, but added that these should still be within current expectations.
The company will make its preliminary results announcement on 28 January.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion recorded a 1.5% increase in like-for-like sales in the 19 weeks to 9 June, but margins came under pressure as offers continued to drive the market....
UK sportswear retailer JD Sports has seen its full-year pre-tax profit hit by its acquisition of Blacks Leisure, the UK's largest outdoor clothing and equipment retailer, earlier this year....
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects