UK: JD Sports maintains guidance despite downturn
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn – but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortunes.
Issuing an interim management statement for the period to 19 November, the UK company said gains in like-for-like sales in August and September had been replaced by declines in October and November.
Like-for-like sales for the second half were up 0.2%, thanks to a 1.3% gain in fashion fascias offsetting a 0.1% decline in the company’s sports shops.
However, once the VAT increase is factored out of the results, the company recorded a net like-for-like sales decline of 1.5%.
“Performance since 17 September has been impacted by the continuing downward pressures on all elements of discretionary consumer spending and the recent marked decline in consumer confidence,” said JD Sports.
The company added that it was “encouraged” by the potential for the Sprinter business in Spain, but reported a “mixed” performance for Canterbury, despite the impact of the Rugby World Cup.
UK sportswear retailer JD Sports has seen its full-year pre-tax profit hit by its acquisition of Blacks Leisure, the UK's largest outdoor clothing and equipment retailer, earlier this year....
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020