UK: JD Sports maintains guidance despite downturn
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn – but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortunes.
Issuing an interim management statement for the period to 19 November, the UK company said gains in like-for-like sales in August and September had been replaced by declines in October and November.
Like-for-like sales for the second half were up 0.2%, thanks to a 1.3% gain in fashion fascias offsetting a 0.1% decline in the company’s sports shops.
However, once the VAT increase is factored out of the results, the company recorded a net like-for-like sales decline of 1.5%.
“Performance since 17 September has been impacted by the continuing downward pressures on all elements of discretionary consumer spending and the recent marked decline in consumer confidence,” said JD Sports.
The company added that it was “encouraged” by the potential for the Sprinter business in Spain, but reported a “mixed” performance for Canterbury, despite the impact of the Rugby World Cup.
UK sportswear retailer JD Sports has seen its full-year pre-tax profit hit by its acquisition of Blacks Leisure, the UK's largest outdoor clothing and equipment retailer, earlier this year....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry