UK: JD Sports sales decline “expected”
Like-for-like sales at retail group JD Sports are down 2.8% on the year to date, but the company insists that trading remains in line with management expectations.
The UK retailer said the figures for the period from the end of January to 6 June were “harder to interpret” because of the impact of the run-up to the football World Cup a year ago.
Like-for-like sales were down 3% at sports outlets and 1.6% at fashion stores, it added, with margin deterioration within the range of its expectations.
The news follows JD Sports’ April announcement of a 0.4% rise in like-for-like sales for the eight weeks to 26 March.
“Our cautious outlook at the time of that announcement remains unchanged and continues to be based on the very clear downward pressures on levels of gross consumer expenditure in our market and the increased VAT take from such expenditure,” the company said.
It expects to release its next rading update on 21 September.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn - but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortu...
JD Sports says it lost some GBP700,000 (US$1m) in stock during the UK riots last month, but does not think the unrest will impact its full-year results....
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020