UK: JD Sports sales decline “expected”
Like-for-like sales at retail group JD Sports are down 2.8% on the year to date, but the company insists that trading remains in line with management expectations.
The UK retailer said the figures for the period from the end of January to 6 June were “harder to interpret” because of the impact of the run-up to the football World Cup a year ago.
Like-for-like sales were down 3% at sports outlets and 1.6% at fashion stores, it added, with margin deterioration within the range of its expectations.
The news follows JD Sports’ April announcement of a 0.4% rise in like-for-like sales for the eight weeks to 26 March.
“Our cautious outlook at the time of that announcement remains unchanged and continues to be based on the very clear downward pressures on levels of gross consumer expenditure in our market and the increased VAT take from such expenditure,” the company said.
It expects to release its next rading update on 21 September.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn - but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortu...
JD Sports says it lost some GBP700,000 (US$1m) in stock during the UK riots last month, but does not think the unrest will impact its full-year results....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details