UK: JD Sports sales decline “expected”
Like-for-like sales at retail group JD Sports are down 2.8% on the year to date, but the company insists that trading remains in line with management expectations.
The UK retailer said the figures for the period from the end of January to 6 June were “harder to interpret” because of the impact of the run-up to the football World Cup a year ago.
Like-for-like sales were down 3% at sports outlets and 1.6% at fashion stores, it added, with margin deterioration within the range of its expectations.
The news follows JD Sports’ April announcement of a 0.4% rise in like-for-like sales for the eight weeks to 26 March.
“Our cautious outlook at the time of that announcement remains unchanged and continues to be based on the very clear downward pressures on levels of gross consumer expenditure in our market and the increased VAT take from such expenditure,” the company said.
It expects to release its next rading update on 21 September.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn - but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortu...
JD Sports says it lost some GBP700,000 (US$1m) in stock during the UK riots last month, but does not think the unrest will impact its full-year results....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Where next for e-textiles and smart garments?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020