UK: JD Sports sales up but margins hit
Retailer JD Sports Fashion recorded a 1.5% increase in like-for-like sales in the 19 weeks to 9 June, but margins came under pressure as offers continued to drive the market.
Sports fascias sales were up 1.2% and fashion fascias up 3%, but JD Sports said additional overheads supporting international retail, brands and licensing, and multi-channel development would impact core retail results.
Meanwhile, the company said it was continuing to address the “significant operating issues” in its recently acquired Blacks business, signalling an expected operating loss of GBP10m, with the potential of another charge of up to GBP5m linked to restructuring.
Analyst Investec welcomed the results and reiterated its “buy” recommendation, saying: “This is a good trading performance, given unhelpful weather and consumer backdrops.
“While interim profits will be adversely impacted by the front-end loading of overhead investment and Blacks’ operating loss, our full-year PBT forecast is unchanged.”
The UK's Office of Fair Trading is expected to investigate any attempt by Sports Direct to acquire 180 stores from rival JJB Sports, which is expected to file for administration this week, according t...
Like-for-like sales are improving at retailer JD Sports Fashion, despite strongly contrasting trends from the company's two main divisions....
JD Sports has revealed plans to close more Blacks stores after the outdoor wear retailer weighed down the group's first-half results....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre