UK: JD Sports sales up but margins hit
Retailer JD Sports Fashion recorded a 1.5% increase in like-for-like sales in the 19 weeks to 9 June, but margins came under pressure as offers continued to drive the market.
Sports fascias sales were up 1.2% and fashion fascias up 3%, but JD Sports said additional overheads supporting international retail, brands and licensing, and multi-channel development would impact core retail results.
Meanwhile, the company said it was continuing to address the “significant operating issues” in its recently acquired Blacks business, signalling an expected operating loss of GBP10m, with the potential of another charge of up to GBP5m linked to restructuring.
Analyst Investec welcomed the results and reiterated its “buy” recommendation, saying: “This is a good trading performance, given unhelpful weather and consumer backdrops.
“While interim profits will be adversely impacted by the front-end loading of overhead investment and Blacks’ operating loss, our full-year PBT forecast is unchanged.”
The UK's Office of Fair Trading is expected to investigate any attempt by Sports Direct to acquire 180 stores from rival JJB Sports, which is expected to file for administration this week, according t...
Like-for-like sales are improving at retailer JD Sports Fashion, despite strongly contrasting trends from the company's two main divisions....
JD Sports has revealed plans to close more Blacks stores after the outdoor wear retailer weighed down the group's first-half results....
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- Responsive supply chain key to Gap's growth plans
- String traceability tool goes back to basics
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Adidas supplier factory strike enters second week
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy