UK: JD Sports sales up but margins hit
Retailer JD Sports Fashion recorded a 1.5% increase in like-for-like sales in the 19 weeks to 9 June, but margins came under pressure as offers continued to drive the market.
Sports fascias sales were up 1.2% and fashion fascias up 3%, but JD Sports said additional overheads supporting international retail, brands and licensing, and multi-channel development would impact core retail results.
Meanwhile, the company said it was continuing to address the “significant operating issues” in its recently acquired Blacks business, signalling an expected operating loss of GBP10m, with the potential of another charge of up to GBP5m linked to restructuring.
Analyst Investec welcomed the results and reiterated its “buy” recommendation, saying: “This is a good trading performance, given unhelpful weather and consumer backdrops.
“While interim profits will be adversely impacted by the front-end loading of overhead investment and Blacks’ operating loss, our full-year PBT forecast is unchanged.”
The UK's Office of Fair Trading is expected to investigate any attempt by Sports Direct to acquire 180 stores from rival JJB Sports, which is expected to file for administration this week, according t...
Like-for-like sales are improving at retailer JD Sports Fashion, despite strongly contrasting trends from the company's two main divisions....
JD Sports has revealed plans to close more Blacks stores after the outdoor wear retailer weighed down the group's first-half results....
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Amazon Prime Day a big win for apparel
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis