UK: JD Sports sells Canterbury rugby brand to Pentland
UK sportswear retailer JD Sports plans to sell its rugby apparel brand Canterbury to fashion brand operator Pentland Group Plc, and will acquire the OneTrueSaxon casual clothing label from the group in a separate deal.
JD Sports said it agreed to sell Canterbury for GBP22.7m, and will acquire the OneTrueSaxon brand for GBP50,000.
Most of Canterbury's revenue and earnings are located in New Zealand and Australia, territories where JD Sports has limited operations and "significantly distant from the core retail focus of the group in the UK and continental Europe".
The sportswear retailer also said the brand would have been unlikely to form a "key component" of its future retail proposition.
However, acquiring the OneTrueSaxon brand "will allow us to leverage our in-house expertise and offer new products through our core retail fascias," it said.
The Canterbury brand booked an operating profit of GBP400,000 over the year ended 28 January 2012, with a loss of GBP1.1m in the US and GBP800,000 in Europe.
Casual clothing and footwear line OneTrueSaxon was founded in 2000 and in the year ended 31 December 2010 had gross assets of GBP0.6m and made a loss before tax of GBP1.5m.
Sports and casual wear retailer JD Sports has confirmed to just-style that Tom Knight, who led the development of its sports performance fascia, has left the business....
Sports and casual wear retailer JD Sports Fashion has acquired youth clothing brand Gio Goi - less than a month after it collapsed into administration....
Youth clothing brand Gio Goi has fallen into administration....
Retailer JD Sports Fashion Plc expects full-year profit to come in at the low end of expectations after gains in its branded sportswear business continue to be offset by "significant" losses in its ou...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- SuperGroup to adapt sourcing model for speed
- Rana Plaza fund call grows as anniversary nears
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019