UK: JD Sports unveils healthy profit rise
Sporting goods retailer JD Sports has posted a rise in group profit before tax and exceptional items of 26% to GBP67.4m (US$92m), up from GBP53.6m in 2009.
Total revenue increased by GBP98.9m to GBP769.8m, up from GBP671m last year, including GBP48.1m from acquired businesses
Like for like revenue increased by 2.5% - with the Sports Fascias and Fashion Fascias divisions representing 2.3% and 3.6% respectively.
"The year ended 30 January 2010 has been the sixth successive year of good progress in revenue and profitability for the group," said executive chairman Peter Cowgill.
During the period, we have improved our profit before tax and exceptional items by 26% - this follows increases of 24%, 73% and 51% in the previous three years and such sustained performance, in the face of less than favourable economic conditions and exchange rates, reflects the strength of our brand."
Acquisitions made last year included Chausport in France for GBP7.9m.
Retailer JD Sports Fashion reported a 70% surge in first-half profits, driven by double-digit revenue gains from its sports-themed stores in particular....
Taking a look at the week ahead for the footwear and apparel industry, here is news editor Joe Ayling's snapshot of just-style's latest news and insights agenda. ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020