MALTA: Jeans Maker VF Malta To Axe 240 Workers
The lay-offs, which account for about one third of VF Malta's workforce, will occur at the company's San Gwann industrial estate facility.
According to a company statement, the redundancies are the result of a poor European economic environment and increased global competition.
However, the company said the facility would still remain viable thanks to future restructuring and past investments.
"For the future, the Malta plant will be targeting specific market needs, offering high quality products, quick delivery and competitive pricing," the statement read.
"Over the years, the company has invested heavily to keep the Malta plant competitive.
"These investments, management commitment and skilled employees should improve the future viability of the plant."
VF Malta Ltd is a subsidiary of the United States-based VF Corporation which produces Wrangler jeans.
Companies: VF Corporation
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Although Ukraine has the potential to be the top East European clothing supplier to Western Europe, the industry's growth is hampered by a lack of foreign investment. But this could be about to change...
VF Corporation has announced that Eric C. Wiseman has been appointed president and chief operating officer and will assume responsibility for the company's day-to-day operations. Wiseman, 50, who prev...
Branded apparel maker VF Corporation has announced a series of organisational changes aimed at streamlining its leadership structure and supporting the company's long-term growth plans....
Apparel group VF Corp is to close a jean production plant in Wilson, US, at the loss of 445 jobs....
Apparel manufacturer VF Corp has reported an 18 per cent leap in first-quarter income, encouraged by good business at its outdoor, imagewear and sportswear businesses following acquisitions....
Apparel company VF Corp has set up a new company in partnership with designer John Varvatos after two years of uncertainty over Varvatos's brand, according to executives quoted by the New York Post....
Branded apparel company VF Corporation has completed its acquisition of surf-inspired footwear business Reef Holdings Corporation....
Footwear maker Rocky Shoes and Boots Inc has chosen New Generation Computing Inc's web-based sourcing and production system, e-SPS, to help streamline its global production of footwear...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022