UK: Jigsaw books double-digit Christmas sales growth
UK fashion retailer Jigsaw has booked a double-digit increase in sales over the Christmas trading period despite "aggressive discounting on the high street".
The privately-owned company said like-for-like sales grew 17% during the five weeks to 28 December, while online sales jumped 39%.
The news came as Jigsaw revealed a 21% increase in full-year net profit to GBP1.9m (US$3.1m). Sales were up 7% to GBP64.2m during the 52 weeks to 28 September, while online sales jumped 36%. Net trading margin improved by 160 basis points.
Chief executive Peter Ruis said: "We are pleased with the progress we have made during this period. Trading conditions remain challenging but we are optimistic for the current financial year.
"The focus will be on continuing to bring innovation to our customers, in both bricks and clicks, enhanced by significant investment over the next 12 months."
In addition, the retailer said it will open a new flagship concept store in London in April, which Ruis said will "begin the journey to re-define Jigsaw for the next decade."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details