UK: Jobs Axe For 160 As Cotton Mill Closes
Up to British 160 textile workers are to lose their jobs after bosses of a long-established cotton mill announced it was to close after more than 100 years of production.
Shiloh Spinners yarn mill in Bolton, in the north-west of England, is to close following a dramatic fall in turnover. The announcement is a fresh blow to the region's cotton industry following recent mill closures in nearby Oldham.
Shiloh was once one of the biggest employers in the industry, having been operating since the 19th Century, with the spinning division the result of a management buy-out from Shiloh Plc last year.
Announcing the redundancies, chairman Rod Murray said: "Certain areas of the business have suffered from a severe reduction in turnover. This was caused mainly by the larger retailers sourcing their products offshore and the continued strength of sterling."
Graham Wells, branch secretary with the GMB union said: "The trade hasn't improved and this was really what was expected.
"The workers have been through so many redundancies already and they've been in the trade most of their lives. Unfortunately, that's the way the textile industry in this country is going."
To view related research reports, please follow the links below:-
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack