US: Jobs shuffle at JC Penney distribution centre
Department store retailer JC Penney is making changes at its Manchester distribution centre in Connecticut, in moves that will see the closure of one operating unit but the expansion of two others.
While the closure of the dot-com unit of the warehouse at the end of September will eliminate 442 jobs, the company has also told just-style that it is adding around 340 positions as part of a reconfiguration of the facility.
"We expect to staff most of those new positions with employees moving over from the closing unit, with no interruption in their employment," a company spokesperson said.
Separately, the retailer has announced a voluntary early retirement programme, with details due to be released at a later date.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Premium and value were the big winners as US retailers reported their all-important December sales results yesterday (5 January)....
Few incoming CEOs have put their stamp on their new company as quickly as JC Penney's Ron Johnson. His former life as head of retail at Apple is evident in the title of the new strategy for the ailing...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2011 sales results....
The wholesale revamp of retailer JC Penney's operations will cost US$800m in capital expenditure in fiscal 2012 - but the company is targeting $900m in cost savings over the next two years....
Top stories on just-style this week included speculation around Bangladesh's rise as a sourcing hotspot, JC Penney's plans to overhaul its offer and Sun European Partners' plans for UK retailer Bonmar...
JC Penney has announced plans to collaborate with designer Nanette Lepore on a clothing range....
Thousands of staff are to lose their jobs at retailer JC Penney as the retailer's new CEO undertakes an overhaul of the business, according to reports....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective