UK: John Lewis ends June with 8.3% sales fall
Department store chain John Lewis saw sales in the week ending 28 June fall by 8.3% after a record high last year, despite help from sunnier weather in the UK.
The company said that the improved weather across the country helped its Saturday Clearance section, with branded men's and women's wear taking the lead.
"Last year's first day (an all-time record) was always going to be difficult to assail,"said Phil Hullah, commercial director, John Lewis, "but not only did the division deliver a huge sterling result, we also recorded more than 20% growth versus our opening day two years ago.
"A very solid foundation on which to build."
E-commerce site John Lewis Direct finished the week with a 20% year-on-year sales growth.
"All of the rigorous planning and preparation for Clearance has paid off. Product availability is excellent, our customer delivery network is on song and our product offer and shops really do look fantastic.
"We can look forward with confidence to driving sales of Clearance and full-price product and further increasing our share of trade during this critical summer period," added Hullah.
Making sure the right products are in-store for shoppers as and when they want them is key to customer loyalty. It sounds simple enough, yet why do so many retailers still get it wrong – and what can ...
Key UK retailer John Lewis Partnership saw its weekly sales fall 2.2% in the week to 11 October, further illustrating the general slowdown in consumer spending....
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack