UK: John Lewis ends June with 8.3% sales fall
Department store chain John Lewis saw sales in the week ending 28 June fall by 8.3% after a record high last year, despite help from sunnier weather in the UK.
The company said that the improved weather across the country helped its Saturday Clearance section, with branded men's and women's wear taking the lead.
"Last year's first day (an all-time record) was always going to be difficult to assail,"said Phil Hullah, commercial director, John Lewis, "but not only did the division deliver a huge sterling result, we also recorded more than 20% growth versus our opening day two years ago.
"A very solid foundation on which to build."
E-commerce site John Lewis Direct finished the week with a 20% year-on-year sales growth.
"All of the rigorous planning and preparation for Clearance has paid off. Product availability is excellent, our customer delivery network is on song and our product offer and shops really do look fantastic.
"We can look forward with confidence to driving sales of Clearance and full-price product and further increasing our share of trade during this critical summer period," added Hullah.
Making sure the right products are in-store for shoppers as and when they want them is key to customer loyalty. It sounds simple enough, yet why do so many retailers still get it wrong – and what can ...
Key UK retailer John Lewis Partnership saw its weekly sales fall 2.2% in the week to 11 October, further illustrating the general slowdown in consumer spending....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020