UK: John Lewis H1 sales increase "hugely encouraging"
Department store retailer John Lewis today (3 August) described a 12.9% rise in first-half sales as "hugely encouraging".
For the six months ended 28 July, the company's fashion division increased 7%, driven by strong gains from the sale of nursery and baby wear, as well as accessories and beauty. The company's home segment climbed 6%.
Andy Street, managing director of John Lewis said the retailer "substantially outperformed a slow market".
He said: "While we have added a number of new shops, growth from the established business has been strong. We managed to achieve the goal of any omni channel retailer: growth in both shops and online."
"We go into the second half with confidence provided by strong momentum. We're on course to sell huge quantities of London 2012 merchandise this week, and will I'm sure benefit indirectly from our small part in The Games; a remarkable achievement for our country."
From toxic T-shirts to virtual fitting rooms, defamatory garments and compostable shoes, the clothing and textiles industry in 2012 was anything but dull....
Retailer Marks & Spencer has reported worse-than-expected Christmas trading figures, with a poor performance in its general merchandise business - which includes clothing and footwear - offsetting str...
John Lewis has appointed Mark Lewis to the newly created role of online director to grow the UK department store operator's e-commerce business. ...
Doubts have been raised over the future viability of Mothercare's UK operations after the infant goods retailer reported further sales declines in its third quarter....
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)