UK: John Lewis reaps rewards of clearance sales
Buoyant retailer John Lewis Partnership said it set a new sales record in its first week of post-Christmas sales.
Sales at the co-operative company's department stores were up 8.2% to GBP77m (US$151.04m) between 27 December and 2 January.
"In keeping with the theme of tumbling records, we took more money on the first day of clearance than we have ever taken before and at GBP18.3m this was 10% ahead of the first day last year," said Gareth Thomas, director of retail operations.
"Fantastic results came from linens, upholstery, lighting, vision, large electrical, men's own brands, beauty, jewellery, gifts, cookshop, china, glass and toys," he added.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Despite gloomy predictions, UK retail sales growth in the fourth quarter of 2006 was consistently ahead of 2005. However, for many retailers growth has come at the expense of margin and, with 2007 set...
Clothing retailers including New Look, River Island, Primark, H&M and Zara are expected to be among the main beneficiaries of new shopping centre space due to open in the UK over the next few years....
UK department store operator John Lewis Partnership has posted a 26% increase in operating profit, to GBP354m (US$682.6m), for the full year 2006/07....
UK retail sales edged up 2.5% on a like-for-like basis last month, according to the latest report by the British Retail Consortium (BRC)....
Department store retailer John Lewis has joined rival Marks & Spencer in bucking a troublesome trading trend by posting double-digit sales growth for the Christmas period....
Department store chain Debenhams has warned that current trading remains troublesome after same-store sales dipped 4.7% in the 14 weeks from the start of September....
Department store chain John Lewis has reported record weekly sales, defeating the generally dismal high-street environment....
The Turkish Fashion Fabric Exhibition has moved to a new dateline so that it more closely follows the schedule of the major European fabric fairs....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective