US: Jones Apparel swings to $269.5m Q4 loss
Clothing maker Jones Apparel has posted a fourth-quarter loss, which it blamed on unusual expenses and charges plus the exit from Polo Jeans.
Quarterly loss totalled US$269.5m compared with a year-ago profit of $55.7m, while revenue was down to $1.21bn from $1.22bn previously.
Same-store sales, excluding Barneys New York, slipped 1.3%.
The sales decrease was primarily because of the loss of the Polo Jeans Company business, which contributed about $302.2m in the prior-year period.
The loss, meanwhile, included $441.2m in goodwill impairment and $50.2m in trademark impairment, as well as other one-off items.
CEO Peter Boneparth said: "…we continued to execute well against our strategic plan to improve operations, reduce costs and strengthen the overall performance of our apparel, footwear, and accessories across brands".
During the full year, net loss was $144.1m, down from $274.3m the year before. Full-year revenue was $4.74bn, down from $5.07bn in 2005.
Jones also predicted that 2007 earnings will rise 10%.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Japan's Fast Retailing has announced the withdrawal of its amended proposal to acquire Barneys New York having been trumped by Dubai-based private equity firm Istithmar....
Jones Apparel Group has signed an amended definitive stock purchase agreement to sell its Barneys New York subsidiary to Dubai-based Istithmar for US$942.3m....
Fast Retailing has today (6 August) ammended its bid to acquire Barneys New York from Jones Apparel to US$950m in cash, after a rival $900m bid was submitted by Istithmar....
Jones Apparel Group has reported a second quarter net loss of US$47.1m for the second quarter period, as the company prepares to offload its Barneys New York chain. Same-store sales fell 8%....
Japan's Fast Retailing group has moved forward with plans to buy Barneys New York from Jones Apparel Group for US$900m in cash, submitting a definitive proposal to acquire the luxury chain....
Apparel and footwear company Jones Apparel Group has promoted Susan Metzger as chief executive officer of its Women's Better sportswear division as part of a wider executive shuffle taking immediate e...
Fast Retailing Co, operator of the Uniqlo casual clothing chain, is launching a friendly JPY14.7bn (US$121.3m) tender offer to take full control of the Cabin Co casual wear retailer....
Interchangeable footwear maker Skins has hired Deborah Gargiulo, formerly of Jones Apparel, to the position of CFO....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report