US: Jones Group narrows Q4 losses
- Q4 net loss narrows to US$47.1m
- Margins at 4%
- Net sales drop 8.5%
Jones says its financial position remains strong
US clothing and footwear company The Jones Group said its financial position remains strong after narrowing its losses in the fourth quarter.
In the three months to the end of December, the retail group posted a net loss of US$47.1m. This compared to a loss of $80.1m in the year ago period.
Margins also improved, to 4% in the quarter from 3.2% in the comparable period last year.
Sales, however, dropped 8.5% to $889m versus $972m for the fourth quarter of 2012. Jones said its sportswear business in particular remained more "challenging and promotional" in the period.
"Our financial position remains strong," said CFO John McClain. "We ended the year with $116m in cash and our revolver undrawn. We are continuing to focus on inventory management, expense control, and operational efficiencies and believe we will continue to improve margins and maintain a strong balance sheet.
"We continue to take definitive actions to enhance profitability and are encouraged by the impact of these initiatives. We believe our approach to brand management and focus on our core brands will prove beneficial to future results."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details