US: Jones Group narrows Q4 losses
- Q4 net loss narrows to US$47.1m
- Margins at 4%
- Net sales drop 8.5%
Jones says its financial position remains strong
US clothing and footwear company The Jones Group said its financial position remains strong after narrowing its losses in the fourth quarter.
In the three months to the end of December, the retail group posted a net loss of US$47.1m. This compared to a loss of $80.1m in the year ago period.
Margins also improved, to 4% in the quarter from 3.2% in the comparable period last year.
Sales, however, dropped 8.5% to $889m versus $972m for the fourth quarter of 2012. Jones said its sportswear business in particular remained more "challenging and promotional" in the period.
"Our financial position remains strong," said CFO John McClain. "We ended the year with $116m in cash and our revolver undrawn. We are continuing to focus on inventory management, expense control, and operational efficiencies and believe we will continue to improve margins and maintain a strong balance sheet.
"We continue to take definitive actions to enhance profitability and are encouraged by the impact of these initiatives. We believe our approach to brand management and focus on our core brands will prove beneficial to future results."
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015