US: Jos A Bank cautious as it swings to Q1 loss
- Q1 net loss of US$37.1m
- Gross margin decline in May
- Sales rise 11%
US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers has said it remains cautious heading into the crucial Father's Day period after suffering a gross margin decline in May and swinging to a loss in its first-quarter.
The retail group swung to a loss in the three months ended 3 May, hurt by costs related to its acquisition by Men's Wearhouse, which is expected to close in the next few weeks.
Jos A Bank posted a loss of US$37.1m in the period, compared with a profit of $8.1m, or $0.29 cents per share, a year earlier. Excluding around $75.4m in costs related to the deal, the company earned $0.32 cents per share.
Sales rose 11% to $217.4m, while comparable-brand sales rose 8.4%.
CEO Neal Black said the company was pleased to have continued the positive adjusted earnings trend that started in the second half, but added that its gross profit margin rate declined in May as it aggressively sold clearance goods left over from spring 2013 and its sales and marketing expenses increased.
"We are therefore cautious as we approach the critical Father's Day selling period as we attempt to balance strong sales with the appropriate amount of clearance markdowns and advertising expenses," he said.
The Global market review of Workwear which was first published by just-style in 2010 proved to be one of our best selling reports to date. Hardly surprising then, that there has been much anticipation...
Formal clothing specialist Men's Wearhouse has been ordered to pay $42.6m in damages to a former licensee of its JA Apparel business....
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019