US: Jos A Bank stands firm on Men's Wearhouse bid
In response to an improved bid by Men's Wearhouse last week, Jos A Bank published an open letter stating that the offer substantially undervalues the company.
On Thursday (30 January), Men's Wearhouse CEO Douglas Ewert reiterated that it had submitted a "compelling" all-cash offer to acquire the company for US$57.50 per share. This was lifted in December from its November offer of $55.
Jos A Bank, however, has continued to reject all offers by the firm, claiming they are "inadequate" from a financial point of view and "not in the best interest" of its stockholders.
"We see no benefit in commencing negotiations with Men's Wearhouse," the company said in its letter at the weekend.
The rejection of the offer last month is the latest move in a long-running battle between the two retailers.
The letter is also published amid reports Jos A Bank is in talks to buy outdoor wear brand Eddie Bauer from private equity firm Golden Gate Capital, according to Reuters.
Details of the talks were not revealed and Jos A Bank could not be reached for comment at the time of going to press.
Eddie Bauer LLC - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed SWOT...
Formal clothing specialist Men's Wearhouse has been ordered to pay $42.6m in damages to a former licensee of its JA Apparel business....
The Global market review of Workwear which was first published by just-style in 2010 proved to be one of our best selling reports to date. Hardly surprising then, that there has been much anticipation...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide