UK: June retail sales rise 1.3%
Retail sales volumes in the UK increased 1.3% during the month of June compared to the prior year period, attributed to the World Cup by some analysts.
Between May and June total sales volume increased by 0.7%. Sales volume in the three months April to June increased by 1.7%, compared to the previous three months. This was the largest rise since April 2008.
Total sales volume in the three months to June was 1.2% higher than the same period a year ago, with textile, clothing and footwear stores rising 6.1% during this period, ONS found.
Commenting on the figures for June, Richard Lowe, head of retail and wholesale at Barclays Corporate said: "June was a very strong month for retailers as the World Cup and warmer weather encouraged consumers to spend on electricals, garden furniture and clothing. Many shoppers had delayed buying summer clothes until last month due to the unseasonal weather we experienced in April and May when consumers traditionally spend on holiday items.
"Controversially, England’s early exit from the World cup was also good news for the sector as it saved several trading days which would have otherwise been lost to crucial games. It is, however, undoubtedly getting more challenging for the sector despite June’s strong month-on-month rise."
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack