just-style's most read stories this week...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at the sourcing winners and losers of 2013, Bangladesh garment owners and workers threatening joint unrest, and a comment on the benefits GSP+ could have on Pakistan.
2013: A year in review - Brand winners and losers
Increased costs, quality issues, and weakened demand resulted in job cuts and widened losses for certain retailers in 2013. But overseas expansion, the value of domestic manufacturing, and innovative products bolstered others.
2013: A year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
What a difference a year makes for garment-making countries. While some were crippled by ongoing unrest, deadly factory fires and natural disasters, others saw exports increase in a critically competitive environment.
2013: A year in review - The unusual and unpredictable
Waterless dyes, textiles that clean themselves and new 3D printing filaments: the only thing missing this year was spray on clothing.
BANGLADESH: Garment factory owners, workers threaten joint unrest
Bangladesh garment factory owners and workers have threatened unrest, unless steps are taken to end the ongoing political deadlock within the next five days.
GSP+ could boost Pakistan garment exports
Pakistan's garment manufacturers are anticipating significant trading benefits from an expected accession to the European Union's (EU) new Generalised Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+) trading scheme from January 2014. But production also needs help, local industrialists say.
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy