US: K-Swiss faces shortfall as Thai plant shuts
Footwear company K-Swiss is facing a potential loss of customer orders to the tune of US$5m after one of its manufacturing units in Thailand closed.
K-Swiss said that a contractor in Thailand, which it did not name, had ceased operations and would not be able to fulfill orders for 700,000 pairs of shoes scheduled for the second and third quarters of 2010.
It is one of only three manufacturers utilised by the company in its global supply chain, and primarily supplies canvas products for the K-Swiss brand.
Most of the shoes were being produced to fulfill orders primarily for Latin America and to a lesser extent Europe, the company said.
K-Swiss is now looking to secure production capacity with other facilities instead, but anticipates delays and said it was not certain when and how much capacity will be replaced.
"Assuming the company cannot fulfill any customer orders from previously scheduled Thailand production, the company estimates a total impact of approximately $5m in lost revenues during the second and third quarters of 2010," a statement added.
If any country was likely to be vulnerable to a collapse in sales from a global recession it was export-oriented China. The fact remains, however, that China's textile and clothing industry is still i...
Increased income tax costs sent footwear company K-Swiss to a hefty third quarter loss, accompanied by a double-digit revenue decline....
European private equity firm Silverfleet Capital has bought Schneider Versand Holding GmbH, a leading German catalogue and on-line retailer selling fashion, lifestyle and promotional products such as ...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Innovation and supply chain remain key for Nike
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019