GERMANY: Karstadt names Andrew Jennings as CEO
The former managing director of Woolworths South Africa, Andrew R Jennings, has been named the new CEO of German department store group Karstadt Warenhaus GmbH.
He will take up the post on 1 January 2011, replacing restructuring expert Thomas Fox who will stay at the company on an interim basis to hand over responsibilities.
British-born Jennings is a retail industry veteran who has worked at Harrods and House of Fraser in England, Brown Thomas in Ireland, Holt Renfrew in Canada and Saks Fifth Avenue in the US. His most recent role was managing director of Woolworth's South Africa, where he led the restructuring of the company with 400 department stores and was responsible for a turnover of US$2.8bn.
Jennings is now tasked with modernising and growing the German store group after it was sold to investment company Berggruen Holdings in September. The retailer, previously owned by collapsed corporation Arcandor AG, operates 86 department stores and 26 sporting goods stores and employs some 25,000 staff.
He says his role is "to create a more dynamic retail emporium of discovery and delight for its key customers.
"I am confident that we have the potential to enhance our position as a truly world-class retailer benchmarked against the best in the industry."
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' April 2011 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' February 2011 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Upscale department store retailer Saks Incorporated has booked a 51% jump in first quarter profit thanks to a double-digit rise in same-store sales and more full-price sales....
Administrators say it is business as usual for the Peter Werth and Pink Soda brands after private equity investors withdrew their support....
Department store chain House of Fraser has announced the launch of a new men's wear range called Label Lab....
Higher full-price sales and fewer promotions have helped upscale US department store operator Saks Incorporated swing to a fourth quarter profit....
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis