US: Kenneth Cole Q4 loss widens to US$12m
Footwear, apparel and accessories company Kenneth Cole Productions posted a fourth quarter loss of US$12m, thanks to a double-digit decline in comparable store sales.
Revenues in the three months to 31 December fell 4.2% to $126.6m, the company said.
Comparable store sales declined 10.7%, and the $12m loss compared to a net loss of $3.1m in the same period of 2007.
Full-year revenues were down 3.6% to $492.3m, with comps falling 2%.
Kenneth Cole posted a full-year loss of $14.8m, compared to a profit of $7.1m in 2007.
Describing the US retail climate as "one of the worst in decades", the company pointed out that promotions had slimmed down inventory - and margins - while cost reductions would total more than $20m on an annualised basis.
"We recognise that these are unprecedented times and we are taking decisive and necessary steps to make us a better, stronger company," said company chairman Kenneth Cole. "Our new organisation will be leaner and more responsive to ensure we are a viable, vibrant company regardless of the external environment."
The board of directors decided to suspend payment of the company's quarterly dividend.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Apparel group Guess? posted a 10.6% rise in second quarter profits to US$59.6m, thanks to a revenue surge from the company's expanding European operations....
A focus on unique products and seasonal must-haves, along with careful control of costs and inventory, have helped apparel retailer J Crew Group Inc to better-than-expected second quarter results....
Shoe and headwear retailer Genesco Inc has managed to narrow its second quarter loss, even though it took a hit from asset impairments and sales "remained choppy" at all its store formats....
Footwear operator Brown Shoe Company slipped to a second quarter net loss of US$4.2m after sales slumped 10.1% to $511.6m in the three months to 1 August....
Specialist women's wear retailer Coldwater Creek recorded a 58% rise in its second quarter net loss to US$4.9m, hurt by a double-digit decline in comparable store sales....
Fashion group Esprit Holdings saw its full-year profit fall back 26% to HK$4.75bn (US$613m) despite posting continued growth from its retail operations....
Second quarter profit at DSW Inc has plunged 31% on lower sales, but the branded footwear retailer still managed to lift its earnings guidance for the year....
Women's plus-size apparel retailer Charming Shoppes Inc has swung to a second quarter profit, but says its results continue to reflect "a difficult retail environment."...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- $136m funding for Made in NY garment-making hub
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar