USA: Knight Quits As Nike CEO, Perez To Step In
Philip Knight, the co-founder of Nike, has resigned as the athletic apparel giant's chief executive officer and president.
Knight will be succeeded by William Perez who runs privately-held consumer products company SC Johnson & Son, but says he plans to stay on as chairman of the board.
Knight has not given a reason for his resignation, which is effective 28 December.
"I am confident that as CEO of Nike Inc, Bill will lead Nike's extraordinary team of people to create an even bigger and better global company," Knight said in a statement.
Financial experts say Nike needs a chief executive well equipped to deal with a number of different brands following its acquisitions of sports companies Converse and Starter.
Perez also has considerable experience in international marketing, which has been pinpointed as a key area of the company's development, as it plans to further expand its presence overseas.
In September, Nike reported a 25 per cent increase in first-quarter profit. The company also reported a large rise in US orders, up 11 per cent to $1.4 billion.
Companies: Nike Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
The University of Colorado has agreed to extend its apparel agreement with sportswear giant Nike Inc by ten years....
Sportswear giant adidas has clinched a long-term partnership deal with tennis superstar Andre Agassi, who previously held a contract with archrival Nike....
Independent music label Dischord Records has forced sportswear giant Nike Inc to apologise for unlawfully using artwork from a punk-rock record cover in a promotional campaign for skateboarding appar...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic-shoe maker, said fourth-quarter earnings rose 15 percent, encouraged by sales of high- priced Air Jordan and Shox sneakers....
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar