JAPAN: Knits and underwear boost clothing sales
As temperatures dip in Japan, women are covering up in knitwear while men are increasingly fond of flashing their expensive underwear.
A new penchant for women's knits - and knitted dresses in particular - is being combined with an array of accessories: bags, caps, mufflers, legwarmers, and necklaces with knitted bobbles.
Many of the knit dresses in the stores this winter are priced at around JPY10,000 (US$84.62) to JPY20,000 and there is a very wide variety from body-hugging types favoured by the young to classier loose-fitting dresses.
Textural variety abounds as well, with choices ranging from smooth, fine-gauge knits to chunky cable patterns.
Japan's men, meanwhile, are spending more on underwear as a fad for low-on-the-hip jeans means more men will be showing the tops of their underwear in public.
"Sales of men's underwear have been rising monthly," Ken Ueno, the undergarment buyer at up market Isetan Department Store in Shinjuku, told the weekly Asahi magazine.
"We have about 12,000 visitors a month. Although overall customer numbers are up, this section in particular is a top-selling sales place. We've sold over 30,000 items here."
The average price of luxury shorts is about JPY5,000.
The boom for men's' upmarket underwear has also sparked the creation of 'Tre Punti,' Japan's first male underwear catalogue.
By Michael Fitzpatrick.
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack