US: Kohl's chief merchandiser resigns amid strategy shifts
The resignation of Donald Brennan, chief merchandising officer at Kohl's Corp, is seen by analysts as underscoring the shifting strategy currently underway at the department store operator.
Kohl's disclosed Brennan's departure in a filing today (25 March), noting that he will be leaving the company on 1 April.
The resignation is the latest in a line of management changes, and follows a 12% drop in fourth-quarter earnings to US$334m in the three months to 1 February, and a 3.8% slide in sales to $6.1bn.
It could also be positioning chief customer officer Michelle Gass "as front-runner for CEO in the future," according to UBS analyst Michael Binetti. Gass was hired from Starbucks in last year.
Binetti also notes that the CMO position is key at Kohl's as the company undergoes a merchandise strategy transition. But he points out that CEO Kevin Mansell was previously CMO, "so has a good working knowledge of the merchandising function to fill the gap during the search for a replacement."
In the interim, all merchants will report directly to CEO Kevin Mansell.
US department store retailer Kohl's has outlined a new strategic initiative designed to generate sales growth, after booking a drop in earnings and revenue in the first quarter. The plan, dubbed "Grea...
Kohl's Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offer...
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 14% in the just-finished fiscal year as political stability returns to the South Asian country....
Kohl’s operates department stores that sell moderately-priced branded and private label apparel, home products, and housewares. Thanks to its size, the company is able to offer top brands and exclusiv...
An innovative new pocketing fabric has been developed using Lenzing's Tencel fibre, which is said to take pocketing and waistbanding "to a new era with softness, strength and sustainability."...
With a large population and high income per head, demand for apparel in the USA is huge -- amounting to nearly US$300 bn during 2012. This has facilitated sustained growth of a number of giant retaile...
The deal by Men's Wearhouse to acquire US men's apparel and footwear business Jos A Bank Clothiers has been given the green light by The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)....
Lectra is joining forces with Spectraflow to offer a range of colour management solutions for fashion and apparel designers from conception to production....
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report