US: Kohl’s Q4 profit dips on slow sales
- Q4 net profit down 17% to US$378m
- Net sales up 5.4% to $6.34bn
- Comparable store sales up 1.9%
Full-year sales were up 2.5% to $19.28bn
A slow start to the fourth quarter cost department store retailer Kohl’s Corporation in terms of profitability, leading to double-digit declines in net profit for the quarter and full year.
Full-year sales were up 2.5% to $19.28bn, but comparable store sales inched up by only 0.3%, leaving net profit at $986m, down 15.5% on last year.
“Sales for the fourth quarter developed very late and, as a result, came at a cost to profitability,” said Kevin Mansell, Kohl’s chairman, president and CEO.
“We were, however, able to end the quarter with levels of inventory appropriate for a strong transition to spring.”
For the new fiscal year, the company is forecasting earnings per diluted share of $4.15-4.45, based on total and comparable store sales moving up by 0-2%.
Kohl’s operates department stores that sell moderately-priced branded and private label apparel, home products, and housewares. Thanks to its size, the company is able to offer top brands and exclusiv...
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
The group of leading retailers and brands who make up the North American Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has named Ellen O'Kane Tauscher as the independent chair of its board of directors....
Department store retailer Kohl's has blamed higher expenses for a 4% decline in profit during the second quarter, and said it expects annual earnings to be slightly lower than it originally forecast....
Fashion Avenue Sweater Knits, a leading importer of children's and women's apparel, has gone live on NGC's fashion PLM and Supply Chain Management (SCM) solution....
One of Pakistan's largest textile companies, Nishat Chunian Limited, has acquired Taj Textile Mills in a deal worth PKR350m (US$3.4m)....
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Fire and safety events to converge on Bangladesh
- US textile innovation hub could expand re-shoring
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam