US: Kohl’s Q4 profit dips on slow sales
- Q4 net profit down 17% to US$378m
- Net sales up 5.4% to $6.34bn
- Comparable store sales up 1.9%
Full-year sales were up 2.5% to $19.28bn
A slow start to the fourth quarter cost department store retailer Kohl’s Corporation in terms of profitability, leading to double-digit declines in net profit for the quarter and full year.
Full-year sales were up 2.5% to $19.28bn, but comparable store sales inched up by only 0.3%, leaving net profit at $986m, down 15.5% on last year.
“Sales for the fourth quarter developed very late and, as a result, came at a cost to profitability,” said Kevin Mansell, Kohl’s chairman, president and CEO.
“We were, however, able to end the quarter with levels of inventory appropriate for a strong transition to spring.”
For the new fiscal year, the company is forecasting earnings per diluted share of $4.15-4.45, based on total and comparable store sales moving up by 0-2%.
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
The group of leading retailers and brands who make up the North American Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has named Ellen O'Kane Tauscher as the independent chair of its board of directors....
Department store retailer Kohl's has blamed higher expenses for a 4% decline in profit during the second quarter, and said it expects annual earnings to be slightly lower than it originally forecast....
Fashion Avenue Sweater Knits, a leading importer of children's and women's apparel, has gone live on NGC's fashion PLM and Supply Chain Management (SCM) solution....
One of Pakistan's largest textile companies, Nishat Chunian Limited, has acquired Taj Textile Mills in a deal worth PKR350m (US$3.4m)....
A group of leading North American retailers and brands - led by Wal-Mart and Gap - have committed more than $142m in funding and low interest loans to help improve factory safety conditions for garmen...
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- What clothing could the TPP X-basket contain?
- Patagonia's CSR commitments re-shaping the sector
- Zalando: profit is so last season
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- New CEO may focus on Ralph Lauren supply chain
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Nike collaborates on low-impact textile challenge
- Unions agree proposed Cambodia minimum wage
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020