US: Kohl’s Q4 profit dips on slow sales
- Q4 net profit down 17% to US$378m
- Net sales up 5.4% to $6.34bn
- Comparable store sales up 1.9%
Full-year sales were up 2.5% to $19.28bn
A slow start to the fourth quarter cost department store retailer Kohl’s Corporation in terms of profitability, leading to double-digit declines in net profit for the quarter and full year.
Full-year sales were up 2.5% to $19.28bn, but comparable store sales inched up by only 0.3%, leaving net profit at $986m, down 15.5% on last year.
“Sales for the fourth quarter developed very late and, as a result, came at a cost to profitability,” said Kevin Mansell, Kohl’s chairman, president and CEO.
“We were, however, able to end the quarter with levels of inventory appropriate for a strong transition to spring.”
For the new fiscal year, the company is forecasting earnings per diluted share of $4.15-4.45, based on total and comparable store sales moving up by 0-2%.
Kohl’s operates department stores that sell moderately-priced branded and private label apparel, home products, and housewares. Thanks to its size, the company is able to offer top brands and exclusiv...
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
The group of leading retailers and brands who make up the North American Alliance for Bangladesh Worker Safety has named Ellen O'Kane Tauscher as the independent chair of its board of directors....
Department store retailer Kohl's has blamed higher expenses for a 4% decline in profit during the second quarter, and said it expects annual earnings to be slightly lower than it originally forecast....
Fashion Avenue Sweater Knits, a leading importer of children's and women's apparel, has gone live on NGC's fashion PLM and Supply Chain Management (SCM) solution....
One of Pakistan's largest textile companies, Nishat Chunian Limited, has acquired Taj Textile Mills in a deal worth PKR350m (US$3.4m)....
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Gap to grow China sales to $1bn in three years
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy