US: Kohl's third-quarter earnings edge up
- Third quarter net income up 1.9%
- Sales increased 2.6% to $4.5bn
- Comparable sales grew 1.1%
US department store operator Kohl's saw third quarter net income edge up on the back of rising sales.
The company today (8 November) said that third-quarter net income increased 1.9% to US$215m over the quarter ended 27 October. Net sales were up 2.6% to $4.5bn. Comparable sales grew 1.1% over the quarter.
Gross margin narrowed to 38.1% from 38.6%.
"Our sales performance in the third quarter was consistent with our expectations, while our gross margin results were better than expected, said chairman, president and CEO Kevin Mansell.
The company is expecting a robust holiday season, with Manesll adding that it has made "noticeable investments in holiday inventory - both in both in depth and content - and the in-store experience".
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
Catherine Malandrino is set to be the third designer to team up with US department store retailer Kohl's Corporation on its DesigNation limited-edition collection. ...
Global sourcing giant Li & Fung Ltd has seen its full-year profit slump despite a slight rise in turnover, blaming ongoing restructuring costs and weakness in its distribution business....
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- Why synthetic fibres are a safe bet for the future
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Ascena Retail disappoints amid challenging year
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras