US: Kohl's third-quarter earnings edge up
- Third quarter net income up 1.9%
- Sales increased 2.6% to $4.5bn
- Comparable sales grew 1.1%
US department store operator Kohl's saw third quarter net income edge up on the back of rising sales.
The company today (8 November) said that third-quarter net income increased 1.9% to US$215m over the quarter ended 27 October. Net sales were up 2.6% to $4.5bn. Comparable sales grew 1.1% over the quarter.
Gross margin narrowed to 38.1% from 38.6%.
"Our sales performance in the third quarter was consistent with our expectations, while our gross margin results were better than expected, said chairman, president and CEO Kevin Mansell.
The company is expecting a robust holiday season, with Manesll adding that it has made "noticeable investments in holiday inventory - both in both in depth and content - and the in-store experience".
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
Catherine Malandrino is set to be the third designer to team up with US department store retailer Kohl's Corporation on its DesigNation limited-edition collection. ...
Global sourcing giant Li & Fung Ltd has seen its full-year profit slump despite a slight rise in turnover, blaming ongoing restructuring costs and weakness in its distribution business....
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Common themes unite Inditex and H&M supply chains
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- US apparel retailers' September 2015 sales roundup
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Change at Banana Republic as Gap sales fall
- Unions discuss strike action over Cambodia wage
- Under Armour to open SEAMS Conference
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields