US: Kohl's to open 47 stores this autumn
Despite a difficult economic environment, department store operator Kohl's plans to open 47 new stores this autumn, the majority of which have been build to environmentally standards.
The Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin retailer says that by the end of November it will operate 1,004 stores in 48 states.
Of the 47 new stores opening in the next two months, 45 stores are built according to a design that is LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) pre-certified at the Silver level from the US Green Building Council.
The roll-out means the retailer will have opened a total of 75 stores in 2008 and it intends to continue its expansion next year too.
In 2009, Kohl's plans to open 50 new stores and remodel 60 locations, an increase from 36 remodelled stores in 2008.
In the longer-term, the company has identified 1,400 trade areas where it sees potential for Kohl's stores, but has not announced a timeline for future openings beyond 2009.
As retailers across Europe and the US brace for more months of falling sales and thousands of factories in the east are forced to close, one company director is eyeing opportunities from the global re...
Times are tough for US department stores, with Macy's, Saks Inc, Nordstrom, TJX, Kohl's and JC Penney all posting tumbling annual profits this week. And with a prolonged recessionary period predicted ...
Apparel maker Perry Ellis International has swung to a fourth quarter loss after writing down the value of some of its brands and taking higher markdowns at department and specialty stores....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' February 2009 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Some of the world's largest apparel retailers including Macy's, Kohl's, American Eagle Outfitters and Pacific Sunwear are taking part in a special committee to establish standards to support the desig...
Pop star Britney Spears has signed up to be the new face of girls' apparel brand Candie's Only at Kohl's, Iconix Brand Group has revealed....
Department store operator Kohl's Corporation is planning conservatively for 2009 after fourth quarter profit fell 18.4% to US$336m....
Organic cotton firm Greensource has introduced a range of organic jeans online and at Wal-Mart and Kmart stores....
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects