TURKEY: Labour groups target Esprit and Li & Fung
Fashion retailer Esprit and its sourcing agent Li & Fung have been targeted by protesters in Hong Kong, Turkey and Thailand in a series of demonstrations accusing them of failing to pay wages and severance pay to workers at a factory in Istanbul.
Around 2,000 workers at Hey Tekstil Sanayi ve Ticaret were fired from the company when it shut down without notice in February this year, labour groups say. Salaries had not been paid since November 2011, and EUR4.7m in overdue wages, severance, and notification payments are still owed.
Li & Fung was sourcing almost all of the production at Hey Tekstil for Esprit, according to the Clean Clothes Campaign.
As well as protests in Istanbul, Chang Mai and Hong Kong, a letter has been sent to Jose Martinez, CEO of Esprit from 23 unions and women's organisations in Central and North America, Asia and Europe, calling on the company to negotiate a serious deal with the Hey Tekstil workers.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Social and environmental compliance are the main issues facing today's apparel supply chains, according to industry experts consulted by just-style. The continued shift towards faster and faster fashi...
Apparel sales in the Asia Pacific region are continuing on a golden growth trajectory despite a slowdown in China. Domestic brands are continuing to hold their own, and foreign brands intent on making...
Esprit's plans to rejuvenate its brand have been described as a "total calamitous failure" by one analyst after the fashion retailer's turnaround efforts yet again failed to gain traction....
Hong Kong listed Luen Thai Holdings, one of the world's leading apparel manufacturing and supply chain services providers, has completed its US$55m acquisition of Singapore-based Ocean Sky Group....
Representatives from more than 40 apparel brands and retailers have called for a credible action plan to address workplace safety in the Bangladesh clothing sector as the death toll from last week's R...
European retailers C&A, Kik and El Corte Ingles will contribute to a compensation plan for the victims of the Tazreen Fashions fire in Bangladesh in November last year. ...
Global sourcing giant Li & Fung Ltd has seen its full-year profit slump despite a slight rise in turnover, blaming ongoing restructuring costs and weakness in its distribution business....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019