US: Lawmakers approve bill supporting Nike expansion
Lawmakers in Oregon have approved a bill that could see sporting goods company Nike commit to the creation of 500 jobs and $150m in capital investment over five years.
The Economic Impact Investment Act authorises Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber to enter into agreements with companies committing to significant job growth and investment in the State, and reassures them that tax rules will not change after they make their investments.
In a statement sent to just-style today (17 December), Nike said: "We appreciate the legislative leadership, Committee leaders, and the entire Oregon Legislature's willingness to act quickly and decisively.
"This is a very positive step forward, not only for our company but for the State of Oregon. We are looking forward to reaching an agreement with the Governor as soon as possible."
Following approval of the legislation on Friday, joint committee co-chair Ginny Burdick (D-Portland) said the proposal "will create jobs and improve our economy."
Oregon is home to Nike’s world headquarters, with more than 8,000 jobs in Washington County. Since 2007, the sporting goods company has seen its employment in Oregon grow by nearly 60%.
Despite the economic slowdown in Poland, Nike Poland did not suffer a loss of share in the Polish apparel market. Like numerous other operators in the market, the company aims to overcome losses in re...
Adversely affected by the slowdown of domestic economy and shrinking consumption, sportswear players collectively faced increasing challenges in China in 2012. As the leader of sportswear in China, Ni...
The Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) Group has launched version two of its Joint Roadmap, aimed at attaining a "new standard of environmental performance for the global apparel and footwea...
Nike is investing ARS143 million in 2012 and 2013 to further increase its production capability across its strategic local partners, opening up 800 new jobs, and offering convenient financing agreemen...
The Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), which is working to reduce the environmental and social impacts of global apparel and footwear production, has launched a new interactive tool to help provide ...
Nike is expected to maintain its position as the most important sports brand in Chile. Nike de Chile’s strategy is to continue organising sports events – such as “Nike 10K” or “Nike 300K” – aimed at i...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019