US: Lawsuits continue against Skechers toning shoes
Attorneys acting for consumers who were allegedly injured while wearing Skechers toning shoes say the number of lawsuits filed against the company continues to rise, despite a $40m settlement reached with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) last year.
The $40m settlement resolved charges that the manufacturer of Skechers toning shoes made unfounded claims about the shoe's purported benefits.
But cases are still being filed by wearers who claim the shoes caused them to suffer serious injuries, including broken feet and ankles, leg and hip fractures, tendon and ligament damage, head injuries, and spinal cord damage.
Personal injury law firm Wright & Schulte LLC says it has submitted more than 100 Skechers injury lawsuits in the US District Court in the Western District of Kentucky, where a multidistrict litigation is now underway.
Skechers Shape-Ups were introduced in 2009, backed by advertising claims that its toning shoes would help wearers improve their fitness and lose weight.
Last May, Skechers said it agreed to the payment to avoid the cost and distraction of protracted legal battles - but denied the allegations and said its advertising was appropriate.
Footwear company Skechers USA returned to profitability in its fiscal second quarter, thanks to a double-digit sales hike and rising margins....
Refunds worth US$40m are being sent to Skechers USA customers who bought toning shoes that the footwear firm promoted through allegedly deceptive advertisements....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019