US: Lawsuits continue against Skechers toning shoes
Attorneys acting for consumers who were allegedly injured while wearing Skechers toning shoes say the number of lawsuits filed against the company continues to rise, despite a $40m settlement reached with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) last year.
The $40m settlement resolved charges that the manufacturer of Skechers toning shoes made unfounded claims about the shoe's purported benefits.
But cases are still being filed by wearers who claim the shoes caused them to suffer serious injuries, including broken feet and ankles, leg and hip fractures, tendon and ligament damage, head injuries, and spinal cord damage.
Personal injury law firm Wright & Schulte LLC says it has submitted more than 100 Skechers injury lawsuits in the US District Court in the Western District of Kentucky, where a multidistrict litigation is now underway.
Skechers Shape-Ups were introduced in 2009, backed by advertising claims that its toning shoes would help wearers improve their fitness and lose weight.
Last May, Skechers said it agreed to the payment to avoid the cost and distraction of protracted legal battles - but denied the allegations and said its advertising was appropriate.
Footwear company Skechers USA returned to profitability in its fiscal second quarter, thanks to a double-digit sales hike and rising margins....
Refunds worth US$40m are being sent to Skechers USA customers who bought toning shoes that the footwear firm promoted through allegedly deceptive advertisements....
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- Ultimate frontier Myanmar uplifts Bogart Lingerie
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Are apparel prices really rising?
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Direct sourcing helps M&S narrow the gap with Next
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Nike accelerates digital strategy with new hire
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Practical Price Negotiation
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020