US: Lawsuits continue against Skechers toning shoes
Attorneys acting for consumers who were allegedly injured while wearing Skechers toning shoes say the number of lawsuits filed against the company continues to rise, despite a $40m settlement reached with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) last year.
The $40m settlement resolved charges that the manufacturer of Skechers toning shoes made unfounded claims about the shoe's purported benefits.
But cases are still being filed by wearers who claim the shoes caused them to suffer serious injuries, including broken feet and ankles, leg and hip fractures, tendon and ligament damage, head injuries, and spinal cord damage.
Personal injury law firm Wright & Schulte LLC says it has submitted more than 100 Skechers injury lawsuits in the US District Court in the Western District of Kentucky, where a multidistrict litigation is now underway.
Skechers Shape-Ups were introduced in 2009, backed by advertising claims that its toning shoes would help wearers improve their fitness and lose weight.
Last May, Skechers said it agreed to the payment to avoid the cost and distraction of protracted legal battles - but denied the allegations and said its advertising was appropriate.
Footwear company Skechers USA returned to profitability in its fiscal second quarter, thanks to a double-digit sales hike and rising margins....
LPP’s strategy concentrates on dynamic development in the Polish market, and successfully competing with multinationals. The company focuses on designing new collections within its brands, such as Res...
Refunds worth US$40m are being sent to Skechers USA customers who bought toning shoes that the footwear firm promoted through allegedly deceptive advertisements....
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019