Lenzing develops tool to measure fabric softness
Austrian cellulosic fibre producer Lenzing has teamed up with German instrument manufacturer Emtec Electronic to come up with a new method to measure softness in textiles.
With comfort now a priority to consumers, Lenzing says the softness of a fabric triggers the decision to purchase a garment. However, softness is perceived differently from person to person, and is determined by how the textile and the skin interact.
"We notice that softness is becoming increasingly important as a comfort factor in brands and with retailers," explains Claudia Mommer, product manager for Lenzing Modal. "Lenzing Modal fibres are the softest fibres in our fibre portfolio. This is something you can feel. However, an increasing number of customers are asking for measurements to explain the softness of our fibres in physical terms."
To explain the complex process of softness in textiles and at the same time exclude personal preferences, physical measurement methods were evaluated to make softness "visible".
A special group formed at Lenzing Research discovered an instrument to measure the softness of paper towels that could be adapted to textiles. Following an intensive test phase, during which more than 100 fabrics were tested, Lenzing approached Emtec Electronic to develop its tissue softness analyser into a fabric softness analyser.
Using the softness measuring device, Lenzing says it is possible to show that the higher the amount of Lenzing Modal used in the fabric, the softer it becomes. It also hopes to communicate softness at point of sale.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry....
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including: apparel manufacturing techniques; denim fabrics; environmentally sustainable dyes; fabri...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: corporate strategy; investments; joint venture...
This report provides a round-up of recent corporate developments in the global technical textiles sector, including: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; business news; closures; financial news; inv...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report