US: Levi Strauss Q4 profit up 20% despite revenue drop
- Q4 profit up 20% to $53m
- Sales slipped 3% to $1.30bn
- Gross margin improved to 50%
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co has seen its fourth-quarter and full-year net profit rise after a tax benefit and lower cotton prices helped offset a fall in sales.
The San Francisco-based fim said net income jumped 20% to US$53m for the three months to 25 November, compared to $44m in the same period a year earlier. Growth was boosted by a $27m tax benefit.
Revenues, however, edged down 3% to $1.30bn from $1.34bn the year before. Gross margin improved to 50% from 46% on the back of increased sales from retail stores, a decline in sales to lower-margin channels, and lower cotton costs.
For the fourth quarter and full year, rising sales from company-operated retail stores in the Americas and Europe were offset by slowing economic conditions in Asia, as well as the decision to phase out its Denizen brand.
"In 2012, we made some tough choices and executed significant changes to set the company on a path towards driving sustainable profitable growth," said president and chief executive officer Chip Bergh.
"We have a largely new leadership team, sharper strategies and a new organisation model designed to win in the marketplace. We're focused on driving our profitable core businesses, expanding beyond the core to develop a more balanced portfolio, becoming a best-in-class retailer and making our cost structure more competitive."
Full-year net income rose 4% to $144m, up from $138m last year, while revenues fell to $4.61bn against $4.76bn in 2011.
Environmental concerns focus on a range of pollutants in that water, from pesticides on cotton fields to dust storms caused by overgrazing in Inner Mongolia by cashmere goats....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Apparel Retail in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains des...
This report analyses some of the latest developments and innovations in the global apparel industry, including e-commerce software, environmentally friendly apparel, environmentally friendly dyeing me...
Apparel group Levi Strauss & Co has announced a series of appointments, including the creation of regional presidents for the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific, as part of efforts to drive long-term g...
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey