US: Lifts ban on imports from Burma
The US has lifted a decade-long ban on most imports from Burma (also known as Myanmar), in a move that is likely to boost the country's garment industry.
The easing of restrictions on Friday (16 November) is in response to reforms by the country's military regime over the past year, and was made ahead of a historic visit by President Obama this week.
The import ban has been in place since 2003. Before the ban was introduced, garments made up the country's largest exports to the US.
Burma has taken progressive steps over the past year to improve human rights and implement democratic reforms. These steps have resulted in, among other things, the election of opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi to the legislature.
In July, the US eased financial and investment sanctions against Burma, allowing the first new US investment in the Asian country for nearly 15 years.
Similarly, the European Union (EU) in April decided to suspend most of its trade and economic sanctions against the country.
And in September the European Commission took a step towards reinstating trade preferences for Burma with a plan to bring the country back under the so-called 'Everything But Arms' trade regime, which is part of the EU's Generalised System of Preferences (GSP).
This would give products such as clothing duty- and quota-free access to the European market for the first time since 1997.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- China remains powerhouse for footwear sourcing
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Transparency index to expand to 100 brands
- Gap joins Better Cotton Initiative
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020