US: Limited Brands posts full-year income slump
Retail group Limited Brands said fourth-quarter earnings leapt 36%, boosted by the buoyant Victoria's Secret business, but said it wasn't enough to reverse a full-year earnings slide.
Fourth-quarter earnings were US$519.2m compared $382.5m last year, on sales of $3.5bn compared to $3.3bn a year ago. Quarterly same-store sales rose 3%.
Full-year earnings were $683.3m compared with $705.4m in financial 2004. 2005 sales increased 3% to $9.7bn from $9.4bn last year, but same-store sales slipped 1%.
Chief executive and chairman Leslie Wexner said: "We're pleased that we were able to exceed our initial fourth-quarter earnings guidance of $1.00 per share by five cents.
"Victoria's Secret, our largest brand, had a solid performance, driven by Pink and the Direct business.
"The apparel segment improved profitability, driven primarily by an improved performance at Express. Holiday results at Bath & Body Works did not meet our expectations."
In the first quarter of 2006, the company expects roughly flat earnings per share versus $0.16 per share in 2005.
For 2006, the company expects earnings per share of $1.40 to $1.50 versus 2005's $1.33 per share.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020