USA: Los Angeles Garment Workers Win $725,000 In Back Pay
472 workers at former garment contractor MiAngels Apparel Inc of Los Angeles have been awarded $724,600 in back pay after an investigation by the California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) and the US Department of Labor.
Worker at MiAngels Apparel Inc, which produced athletic wear and other clothing, had not received their full wages for hours worked between 5 June and 16 July 2004. Overtime pay had not been paid either, investigators said.
In California, regulations governing wages, hours and working conditions are laid out in the Industrial Welfare Commission wage orders, which must be posted in the workplace where employees can read them.
Wages (with few exceptions) must be paid at least twice during each calendar month on the days designated in advance as regular paydays. Employers must establish regular paydays and post a notice showing the day, time and location of payment.
Overtime wages must be paid at the rate of one and one-half times the employee's regular rate of pay for all hours over eight per day (up to and including 12 hours), and for the first eight hours worked on the seventh consecutive day in a workweek.
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020