US: Louboutin wins red soles battle against YSL
French footwear designer Christian Louboutin's distinctive red soles have been given trademark protection, a US appeals court ruled yesterday (6 September).
Louboutin sued rival Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) in April 2011 over its use of what he claimed was his patented lacquered red on shoe soles.
The court found that the red sole is protected when it contrasts with the colour of the adjoining upper. The finding would allow Yves Saint Laurent to produce a monochrome red shoe with a red sole.
PPR-owned YSL claimed the result was a "full victory" and said that it was "extremely satisfied with this outcome".
It said the judgement ruled definitively that YSL is fully entitled to sell monochromatic red shoes, emphasising that it has been selling single-colour shoes since the beginning of the 1970s.
"The judge recognized the reputation of Louboutin red sole characterized by a contrast with the rest of the shoe, which has never been the case with any Yves Saint Laurent shoe. Indeed, this has always been the position of YSL since the beginning of the case and it was cited by the judge of appeal in support of his reasoning," said YSL.
PPR's Redcats division has entered an agreement to sell its apparel and homeware brands Ellos and Jotex to Nordic Capital Fund VII for EUR275m (US$365m). ...
Italian investment group Borletti is in exclusive negotiations with Deutsche Bank's real estate arm, Rreef, to acquire its stake in French department store chain Printemps....
PPR is confident of continued growth in 2013, after posting a rise in 2012 net profit as strong sales of its luxury brands offset weakness in its sports division....
PPR has completed the sale of its OneStopPlus US plus sized clothing business to private equity firms Charlesbank Capital Partners and Webster Capital. ...
Online fashion retailer Yoox recorded a sharp increase in sales during 2012, after recording strong growth in its key international markets....
French apparel and luxury group PPR has acquired a 51% stake in designer brand Christopher Kane in order to help develop the business....
French apparel group PPR has entered into negotiations with Alpha Private Equity Fund 6 (APEF 6) for the sale of Redcats' Cyrillus and Vertbaudet children and family brands for EUR119m (US$156m). ...
The Redcats mail order unit of French retail group PPR has sold its Sportsman's Guide and The Golf Warehouse, which sell clothing and accessories for outdoor activities, including hunting and golf to ...
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Common themes unite Inditex and H&M supply chains
- US apparel retailers' September 2015 sales roundup
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Clothing and cotton still on child labour list
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Change at Banana Republic as Gap sales fall
- Unions discuss strike action over Cambodia wage
- Under Armour to open SEAMS Conference
- M&S edit highlights ethically sourced fashion
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields