UK: Low prices hit sales values
The British Retail Consortium/KPMG Sales Monitor for July recorded a slight weakening in retail sales growth. Like-for-like sales increased by 2.2 per cent in the year to July, compared with 2.8 per cent increase year-on-year in June. The rate of growth in total sales slowed from 5.2 per cent in June to 4.7 per cent in July and 4.3 per cent in August. The lowest figures since November 1999 were recorded for August. It was also the first time this year that like-for-like sales growth slipped below 2 per cent to 1.7 per cent. The August figures were weak growth figures from a low base, as August 1999 was also a disappointing month.Price deflation and poor weather during much of July combined to dampen sales values.Some retailers began their summer discounting earlier than last year - resulting in a boost to sales in June rather than July. Other retailers began their summer sales at the end of July, which will boost sales growth in August.Internet shopping and factory outlets were two of the better performing formats during August.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022