UK: Low prices hit sales values
The British Retail Consortium/KPMG Sales Monitor for July recorded a slight weakening in retail sales growth. Like-for-like sales increased by 2.2 per cent in the year to July, compared with 2.8 per cent increase year-on-year in June. The rate of growth in total sales slowed from 5.2 per cent in June to 4.7 per cent in July and 4.3 per cent in August. The lowest figures since November 1999 were recorded for August. It was also the first time this year that like-for-like sales growth slipped below 2 per cent to 1.7 per cent. The August figures were weak growth figures from a low base, as August 1999 was also a disappointing month.Price deflation and poor weather during much of July combined to dampen sales values.Some retailers began their summer discounting earlier than last year - resulting in a boost to sales in June rather than July. Other retailers began their summer sales at the end of July, which will boost sales growth in August.Internet shopping and factory outlets were two of the better performing formats during August.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective