US: Lower traffic and promotions hit Chico's Q4
- Earnings drop to US$5.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 50.7%
- Sales fall 6.4%
US women's wear retailer Chico's saw its earnings plummet in the fourth quarter hurt by lower traffic and increased promotional activity.
Net income dropped to US$5.9m in the three months ended 2 February. This compared to earnings of $32.7m in the prior year period. Gross margin narrowed to 50.7%, a 250 bsp decrease from last year's fourth quarter.
Net sales amounted to $610.2m, a drop of 6.4% on the prior year, primarily reflecting 115 new store openings, offset by a 3.4% decrease in comparable sales.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said: "We had noted in our channel checks that Chico's had been significantly more promotional in 4Q13 year-on-year, which likely helped the comp. Chico's was also more promotional year-on-year in 4Q13 at White House Black Market, but the higher price point could have still been prohibitive for consumers given the environment."
Synopsis Canadean's "Chico's FAS, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compa...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- SuperGroup CFO leaves over own bankruptcy
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide