US: Lower traffic and promotions hit Chico's Q4
- Earnings drop to US$5.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 50.7%
- Sales fall 6.4%
US women's wear retailer Chico's saw its earnings plummet in the fourth quarter hurt by lower traffic and increased promotional activity.
Net income dropped to US$5.9m in the three months ended 2 February. This compared to earnings of $32.7m in the prior year period. Gross margin narrowed to 50.7%, a 250 bsp decrease from last year's fourth quarter.
Net sales amounted to $610.2m, a drop of 6.4% on the prior year, primarily reflecting 115 new store openings, offset by a 3.4% decrease in comparable sales.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said: "We had noted in our channel checks that Chico's had been significantly more promotional in 4Q13 year-on-year, which likely helped the comp. Chico's was also more promotional year-on-year in 4Q13 at White House | Black Market Black Market, but the higher price point could have still been prohibitive for consumers given the environment."
Synopsis Canadean's "Chico's FAS, Inc. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compa...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- What Marks & Spencer's numbers mean for clothing
- Balance essential in garment supply chain
- Tanzania adds to Africa’s apparel sourcing mix
- Supply chain weighs on Kering's green footprint
- Where next for 3D design and prototyping?
- AGOA delays drag on sourcing decisions
- American Eagle Outfitters Q1 earnings soar
- Apparel bright spot in Wal-Mart Q1
- EU and Turkey to update customs union
- Burberry shares slide as FY outlook slashed