US: Lower traffic and promotions hit Chico's Q4
- Earnings drop to US$5.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 50.7%
- Sales fall 6.4%
US women's wear retailer Chico's saw its earnings plummet in the fourth quarter hurt by lower traffic and increased promotional activity.
Net income dropped to US$5.9m in the three months ended 2 February. This compared to earnings of $32.7m in the prior year period. Gross margin narrowed to 50.7%, a 250 bsp decrease from last year's fourth quarter.
Net sales amounted to $610.2m, a drop of 6.4% on the prior year, primarily reflecting 115 new store openings, offset by a 3.4% decrease in comparable sales.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said: "We had noted in our channel checks that Chico's had been significantly more promotional in 4Q13 year-on-year, which likely helped the comp. Chico's was also more promotional year-on-year in 4Q13 at White House Black Market, but the higher price point could have still been prohibitive for consumers given the environment."
Sunrise Brands has selected Centric Software's product lifecycle management (PLM) software solution to support the growth of its private-label business....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
Women's wear retailer Chico's FAS has appointed Todd Vogensen as its new senior vice president, chief financial officer....
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- US firms eye Vietnam footwear growth ahead of TPP
- Low cotton prices lead to government intervention