US: Lower traffic and promotions hit Chico's Q4
- Earnings drop to US$5.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 50.7%
- Sales fall 6.4%
US women's wear retailer Chico's saw its earnings plummet in the fourth quarter hurt by lower traffic and increased promotional activity.
Net income dropped to US$5.9m in the three months ended 2 February. This compared to earnings of $32.7m in the prior year period. Gross margin narrowed to 50.7%, a 250 bsp decrease from last year's fourth quarter.
Net sales amounted to $610.2m, a drop of 6.4% on the prior year, primarily reflecting 115 new store openings, offset by a 3.4% decrease in comparable sales.
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson said: "We had noted in our channel checks that Chico's had been significantly more promotional in 4Q13 year-on-year, which likely helped the comp. Chico's was also more promotional year-on-year in 4Q13 at White House Black Market, but the higher price point could have still been prohibitive for consumers given the environment."
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis