US/CHINA: Luxury study contrasts Shanghai vs New York
The differing shopping habits of luxury consumers in Shanghai and New York are analysed in a new study from digital direct marketing business ContactLab.
The Luxury Digital Behaviour Study offers an insight into the relationship between consumers in the two cities and high-end clothing and accessory products, as well as measuring the positioning and appeal of 20 luxury brands.
The study is based on a survey of about 1,000 residents of each city, aged 25 to 54.
It confirms the “enormous opportunities” offered by Shanghai: in the last year, four-fifths of individuals have made at least one luxury purchase, spending on average about US$1,000, compared to $500 in New York.
Consumers in Shanghai also say they will do so again in the next six months, spending more than 66% above their New York counterparts.
However, there are some similarities: consumers in both cities are likely to visit a brand website before making a purchase, and also rely on recommendations from magazines and friends – the latter especially in Shanghai.
Meanwhile, 35% of New York consumers and 31% of those in Shanghai choose to be kept informed of brand communications via email.
But, while fashion buying in China is said to be closely linked to the display of a person’s spending capacity, New Yorkers are more likely to show greater affection for individual brands.
The study will be available to purchase from ContactLab in the next few weeks.
- Big data helps Crystal Group sustainability gains
- Brexit and the apparel industry – what lies ahead?
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- India sets out long-overdue clothing labour reform
- Delta Galil buys VF Corp premium brands for $120m
- Brexit to halt deflation in UK clothing sector
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Nike faces domestic and future order headwinds
- Walmart's 'Made in USA' pledge misleading
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts