Europe: Lycra Research Focuses On Teens
Research shows that UK teens are more image conscious than their counterparts in France and Germany, research commissioned by DuPont Lycra showed. Wirthlin Worldwide conducted qualitative research into the attitudes and retail psychology of teenagers in UK, France and Germany. At the heart of fashion needs is the desire to 'look good and feel good'. While this theme was fundamentally important to all teens in all countries, younger girls (15-16 years) tended to focus more on looking good, while older girls (17-18 years) focus more on feeling good.Each country showed quite different and strong trends. UK teens value the confidence and attention that wearing good clothes brings. French teens, value style, the 'look' that compliments individual personality, while the German teens are less image-orientated, and look for functionality and practical comfort that will allow them to move freely in their clothes - with just a hint of elegance to acknowledge femininity. English and French teens are more willing than German teens to sacrifice comfort for fashion.The research was designed to give Lycra a deeper insight into teen values and attitudes towards apparel, shopping behaviour, purchasing patterns and what makes a brand 'cool'. Most importantly, the research was designed to show how Lycra could meet the ready to wear needs of today's opinion leading teenager. Michelle Fornhoff, youthwear manager for Lycra, said: "This research has proved invaluable for us. It has clearly defined the different dynamics in each market and will help us target our communications more effectively. The awareness of Lycra and its benefits is there, we just need to build on this."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022