Europe: Lycra Research Focuses On Teens
Research shows that UK teens are more image conscious than their counterparts in France and Germany, research commissioned by DuPont Lycra showed. Wirthlin Worldwide conducted qualitative research into the attitudes and retail psychology of teenagers in UK, France and Germany. At the heart of fashion needs is the desire to 'look good and feel good'. While this theme was fundamentally important to all teens in all countries, younger girls (15-16 years) tended to focus more on looking good, while older girls (17-18 years) focus more on feeling good.Each country showed quite different and strong trends. UK teens value the confidence and attention that wearing good clothes brings. French teens, value style, the 'look' that compliments individual personality, while the German teens are less image-orientated, and look for functionality and practical comfort that will allow them to move freely in their clothes - with just a hint of elegance to acknowledge femininity. English and French teens are more willing than German teens to sacrifice comfort for fashion.The research was designed to give Lycra a deeper insight into teen values and attitudes towards apparel, shopping behaviour, purchasing patterns and what makes a brand 'cool'. Most importantly, the research was designed to show how Lycra could meet the ready to wear needs of today's opinion leading teenager. Michelle Fornhoff, youthwear manager for Lycra, said: "This research has proved invaluable for us. It has clearly defined the different dynamics in each market and will help us target our communications more effectively. The awareness of Lycra and its benefits is there, we just need to build on this."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Guess four-point plan to drive profit in Americas
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack